And now we are excited to be back in a very big way. Check out these new additions to the site:
What's Good Now? Learn what produce is in season right now and how to use it.
Meatless Menu - Our five day menu offers completely meatless meals and a new downloadable shopping list.
5 Ingredient Meals - Sometimes you just can't be bothered to put too many things together. Every week we'll provide 2 recipes that require only 5 ingredients.
Kid's Kitchen - Getting your children involved in the kitchen is a great way to spark interest in new and exciting foods. Every week we'll provide a hands-on experiment for you to explore.
DIY Kitchen Decor - We'll share what is inspiring us now. From repurposing unexpected items to creative combinations.
New feature! All recipes will now offer a downloadable shopping list.
And with that, we get right to our newest recipe. Living in NYC, we have the wonderful opportunity to experience new foods in the heart of a cultural melting pot. Kimchi tacos have become the hot new food truck item and we could not resist the urge to try our hands at it.
Kimchi is a delicious concoction of pickled cabbages in Asian spices. It is extremely hard to make and I don't have that kind of patience. And after our first go at it, Richard decided he preferred the mixture on rice and I preferred it on a tortilla. So try it however you like! :)
2 chicken breasts
16 ounces kimchi, chopped
4 tortillas (optional)
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/4 cup finely shredded romaine lettuce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil or olive oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar or white vinegar
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp lime juice
3/4 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp mayonnaise
pinch of granulated sugar
1. In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, oil, garlic, vinegar and red pepper flakes. Allow chicken to marinate in this sauce for at least 2 hours.
2. Saute chicken until cooked through. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Once cooled, use your hands to pull the chicken into shreds.
4. In a saucepan, heat kimchi. Drain and reserve juices.
5. Combine kimchi and chicken and cover to keep warm.
6. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, lettuce, lime juice, soy sauce, mayonnaise and granulated sugar. Coat well.
7. Serve chicken and slaw over rice or in a warm tortilla and spoon kimchi juice over the top.