Sunday, June 5, 2011

Never had a fish taco? You are missing out!

While visiting the tiny town of Isla Mujeres, Mexico I had my first fish taco. At first glance, 'fish taco' is not what makes my Western brain go "Mmmm!" But I am not one to pass up an opportunity to try something new. After my first amazing encounter with these delicious treats, I was hooked. I had at least one every day I was in Mexico. It didn't even bother me that no matter where I went, if I asked what kind of fish it was the only answer I got was "It's fish."

Naturally, once I was home I had to experiment with my own version of this delicacy. I am including a recipe for the hottest and most amazing salsa I have ever eaten. We discovered it at a little restaurant on the island and the owner was happy to share his recipe.

Fish Tacos & Onion Salsa

Ingredients

Fish tacos:
1 large cod or haddock fillet, cubed
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 can beer
corn tortillas (see recipe in previous post)

Onion salsa:
One whole yellow onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 dried habenero pepper, minced**
salt

Fill a saucepan with vegetable or peanut oil (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep). Heat the oil to about 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, egg, and seasonings. Pour in enough beer to reach a thick yogurt-like consistency. (You can make it thinner if you like. This all depends on how much oating you like on your fish.)

Lightly cover the cubes of fish with flour and then dunk them into the batter. Using tongs, gently drop the fish into the oil. When the edges start to brown, flip the pieces over to fry the other side evenly. Remove the cooked fish cubes from the oil and pat them gently with paper towels.

Serve with all your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!

For salsa:

** Warning: Habenero peppers are EXTREMELY hot. When handling them, use gloves and keep your hands away from your eyes and face.

In a small skillet, heat the olive oil. Add onion and garlic and saute until onions become transparent. Remove from heat and add peppers and salt to taste. It is so simple but bursting with flavor. If you love heat, you HAVE to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment